Monday, May 16, 2011

Weekend of 5/14 and 5/15/2011

Tom Brigham hosted the annual BS Night for old-time woods riders of New England, which now starts at 3 PM because all of the RAMS are getting on in years and can't handle the late hours anymore. It's a little less than 160 miles for me each way, and I was the first to arrive around 2:15. The event is potluck and I was asked to bring the champagne (for a toast to departed members of the RAMS) and the blackberry brandy. The forecast was for showers, but I lucked-out and got no rain at all on the way up. The only thing I was bothered by was the recent hernia that I had developed within the past few weeks that allowed some of my innards to spill out onto my lap every time I hit a big pothole. I suppose that will continue to be a problem until it gets repaired in a few weeks.

About 50 or 60 guys came and went during the next 10 or 12 hours, only about 10% of whom arrived by motorcycle. I got to talk with several old friends while I stuffed my gut with all kinds of great food from shrimp to Stromboli, coleslaw, baked ham, chili, kielbasa, beans, and you name it, and later all kinds of sweets for dessert, most of which was brought in by the guests. Tom Brigham, our gracious host, donates the baked ham, the keg of beer and many of the other items.

Many of the guests left before dark while others stayed on. I was fortunate enough to be offered a bedroom and I turned in at 9, while many of the younger guys in the group stuck it out, probably until the keg was empty. In the morning it was quite evident that the rain, which had stopped for a moment, was coming back, so the group decided to hit the road instead of going out for our usual breakfast to stuff our stomachs again. I was one of the last to leave at around 8 AM.

It poured heavy for at least 100 miles on my way home and I was practically brought to my knees! I'm just not as strong as I once was. When I stopped in Danbury for gas, I was totally drenched and totally exhausted. Visibility was practically zero for about 100 miles of the trip and it was real scary a few times because the traffic was heavy and far too fast for the conditions. A few times I didn’t know if I was in a travel lane or on an exit ramp, and some of the cars and trucks came awfully close several times. I did manage to get my leg over it again after gassing up in Danbury and I came the rest of the way home in sprinkles.

I got in around 11:15, which wasn’t bad time considering the conditions. I think my total mileage for the weekend was 318. My clothes are still drying the next morning.

1 comment:

  1. Piet--
    That bit about freeway traffic in the rain gives me the chills. I got caught in a bit of rain Sun. in Fresno city traffic. Idiots. Not fun.
    Did 235 Fri. afternoon, and another 330 on Sat.
    We also had a big "reunion"-- the Danny Rouitt Flat Track Museum "open house"--- it's now a BIG deal.
    bwana

    ReplyDelete