Friday, July 15, 2011

Thursday, July 14, 2011

I got out for my daily ride at about nine and decided to try riding in five states on the same day. I'll figure out my route as I go along. I headed first for the northern tip of NJ, where I thought earlier of making it a pit stop and maybe having a quick second breakfast. But since I wasn’t ready for a stop, I headed across the state line into Matamoras, PA and back across the Delaware River into NY via the old US 6 / US 209 bridge at Port Jervis.

When I got to Ellenville along 209, which was my next option for a pit stop and quick breakfast, I thought it might be too late for breakfast (almost 11 AM), so I thought maybe I’d stop in Red Hook for gas and lunch. But after crossing the Rhinecliff Bridge, I blew right by there too and took NY 199 to the Taconic Parkway and headed north. I stopped for gas at the Hudson/Ancram exit, but the only thing they had at the gas stop to eat was a cheese Danish, and I didn't want to take the time for a sit-down breakfast or lunch at the diner next door.

So I ate the Danish standing up and got back on the Taconic for another few miles and took NY 23 east straight into Great Barrington, MA. Since it was early when I got there, I got the idea to head north for Bennington, VT and add a sixth state, which I figured would add only about 125 miles to my cay. So I went back to NY 22 and headed north. Route 22 was quite rough for about 30 miles through Rensselaer County and I was almost sorry I included it, but by that time it was too late to turn back, so I pressed on for Bennington via NY 22, NY 7 and VT9. I turned around and came back via the same rough section of Rte. 22 and cut over into Connecticut via County Road 62 and US 44 near Canaan. From there, I turned around again and followed 44 back to the Taconic Parkway and rode that, NY 301 and US 9 to get home.

 I got home at 4:45, having had only the small Danish to eat all day and I didn’t drink anything because there wouldn’t have been a place to stop and let it out along my route. I carry water in case of emergency but didn't feel I needed it because the temperature only got up into the low 80s yesterday. I rode 387 miles for the day in 8 hours. Considering my 86 years, I thought my ride, which included six, rather than five, states was a pretty good day.

1 comment:

  1. I am 25 years younger than you. 387 miles would be a good day for me. At 86 I would have to say that is an extraordinary day!

    So glad I found this blog. Thank you so much for all you have done, and continue to do, for motorcycling. You are truly a legend.
    jc

    ReplyDelete